Tri-County Prayer Rally uses power of prayer to heal community

TSU President Dr. Glenda Glover giving her testimony on the power of prayer at the Prayer Rally held at the Metro Court House.

TSU President Dr. Glenda Glover giving her testimony on the power of prayer at the Prayer Rally held at the Metro Court House.

Hundreds of believers met in front of the Metropolitan Court House in order to pray for our country on October 30. The rally consisted of people from many different races and denominations coming together to pay for racial unity.

The rally was the inspiration of Rev. David Royalty of First Baptist Church in Joelton, Tennessee. Royalty says that God woke him up at 3 am with a vision to have churches from three Middle Tennessee counties participate in a simultaneous prayer event.

“The White church and Black church must be intentional about solving religious and racial division. America must humble itself and repent from divisive separatism. It’s past the time for all Christians to hear the will of God for His people,” said Rev. Royalty.

Royalty reached out and enlisted the help of prominent Nashville Rev. Enoch Fuzz, pastor of Corinthian Baptist Church, to help organize the event in Nashville.

“The Christian church is a failure if it continues to ignore the violent despair faced by people everywhere,” said Rev. Fuzz.

The keynote speaker for the event was Dr. Glover, president of Tennessee State University. Glover gave an impassioned speech on the power of prayer.

“Prayer is a daily habit. We have a requirement to pray. We have a duty to pray,” said Glover. “Not only does prayer change things, prayer rearranges things.”

Glover went on to explain that being a college president requires “unstoppable” prayer. Glover talked about having to pray for students needing tuition money, faculty with abusive spouses, and students with substance abuse problems.

She also gave a personal testimony about prayer.

“My family, a praying family, was trying to keep me in school at Tennessee State University. I had some financial challenges, with no money to continue. I was home in Memphis during the holiday break during the midpoint of my junior year, and I didn’t have the money to return to school. My father had been up most of the night calling people to try and get the $300 he needed for my tuition for the quarter, and he couldn’t come up with the money.

The next morning my mother said to me: ‘Go on back to Nashville. We are gonna continue to pray and God is going to work something out.’”

Glover returned to school, and was standing in the registration line, rehearsing what she would say to the registrar.

“I heard someone call my name,” she said. “It was Mr. Homer Wheaton, the director of financial aid. He said ‘I’ve been looking for you for two days. I’ve got a scholarship for you. In fact, I have two,’ and they totaled 300!”

Following Glover’s impassioned speech, attendants participated in an intercession where they were given the ability to come forward to give a short prayer.