Sydney Y. K. Brown continues family success legacy

Sydney Y. K. Brown

Sydney Y. K. Brown

Sydney Y. K. Brown is an amazing young woman who is about to take the next steps to success. She is the daughter of Irving and Dr. Katherine Y. Brown. Sydney is a high school senior at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Academic Magnet High School who had her choice of colleges to attend locally and nationwide. Currently she has been accepted to every college she has applied to, including: the prestigious Agnes Scott College; Belmont University; Simmons College; and Fisk University.

When asked about the value of a good education, Sydney Y. K. Brown said: “I aspire to pursue an education that will prepare and allow me to continue my passion for research. I look forward to continuing to be an agent of change that makes a positive impact within my community.”

Sydney Y. K. Brown isn’t your average 17-year-old by any means. A review of her extensive accomplishments and commitment to service is the reason she was selected for the inaugural youth spotlight. She is a proud founding member of the Dr. Katherine Y. Brown Leadership Academy and was a mentor for the KYB Leadership Academy’s international module in Medellin, Colombia in South America. This summer she will travel to Johannesburg, South Africa as a mentor with the leadership program.

Her leadership doesn’t stop there. She was the founding president of the Martin Luther King Key Club of Kiwanis International; a member of the model United Nations; Anime Club; Photography Club; French Club; a member of The Top Teens of America; Jack and Jill of America Inc.; and Girls United. She serves on the Mayor’s Youth Advisory Board; is an International Baccalaureate mentor; and was a volunteer for the Athena International Awards. Her hobbies include: golf, reading, exploring cuisine, culture, various genres of music, participating in research internships; and traveling.

She served on the Freshman Orientation Committee, which helps new students transition into the academic rigor required for success in high school. Sydney is a journalist for her school newspaper; a member of the National Beta Club; the Latino Achievers; the Black Achievers; the Chinese Club; the Green Club; the Recycling club; was a Sophomore class Representative; and is on the Honor Roll.

She has even received the presidential award from former President Barack Obama for public service. A dynamic orator, she won the Jack and Jill Nashville Chapter oratorical competition on the chapter, state, and regional levels. She participated in a research internship for the KYB Leadership Academy in South America. The research presentation was titled ‘The Utilization of Innovation to Address Environmental Inequality: A Comparison of Nashville, Tenn., U.S.A. and Medellin, Colombia, South America.’

Not only has she conducted research within the academy but also at Tennessee State University during the summer of 2016 in the Department of Psychology. Anatomical Neurology, her research focus, was ‘The Auditory Cortex of the Marmoset Brain.’

During the summer of 2015 at TSU’s Department of Agriculture, she conducted a research presentation titled ‘Food Bacteria Isolation: An Analysis of Chicken, Fruits, and Vegetables.’

When asked about her future plans, she said: “After completing my Bachelors degree, I intend on pursuing a career as a physician researcher. I have had the opportunity to be raised by a community of strong female leaders, which has contributed to me evolving into a strong female leader who serves as a youth community leader, speaker, and mentor. I enjoy international travel, mentoring others, and advocating for pulmonary hypertension awareness with the RBWPH Awareness Group in honor of my grandmother, the late Roberta Baines-Wheeler. Once I’ve obtained my doctoral degree, I hope to carry my family’s legacy by being innovative in the strategies that I use to provide opportunities for leadership development and health equity in underserved communities.”

Sydney Y. K. Brown has accomplished a lot in 17 years of life, and is definitely a leader. We expect great things to come from her.